Dentistry deals with medical or surgical treatment of diseases and disorders related to teeth, gums and soft tissues of mouth. The basic degree is BDS- Bachelor of dental surgery for which eligibility is 10+2 with Science. At Master level (MDS) specialisation is possible in areas such as Operative Dentistry, Oral Surgery etc. Admission to the Masters Programme requires BDS plus 2 years of experience.
Selection of BDS is through the same All India Entrance Examination & state level entrance exams as for MBBS. The qualification required for entrance is 10+2 or equivalent with Science subjects. In the case of private medical colleges entrance examinations are conducted by the institutes individually.
Areas of Specialization: Dentistry has many specializations like
• ORTHODONTICS deals with straightening and aligning teeth and jaws.;
• PERIODONTICS specializes in the care of gums and the diseases that might affect them.;
• OPERATIVE DENTISTRY for root canal jobs, filling and cosmetic surgery.;
• PROSTHODONTICS involves the making of artificial teeth.;
• ORAL SURGERY deals specifically with operation on the mouth and jaw.;
• ORAL PATHOLOGY provides the diagnosis for diseases that affect the mouth.
Job Prospects: Job opportunities include employment in government or private hospitals, Defence Services, Nursing homes, Poly- clinics, Research and Health centers, Medical colleges etc. There is also scope to do your own practice while being visiting specialists at various hospitals or visiting faculty at Medical colleges.