Homeopathy is a system of medicine which is practiced on the principle, that a drug and a disease which produce similar symptoms cancel each other out in some way thereby restoring the patients to health. The principle of 'Like can cure Like' forms the basis of Homeopathy. It is named after the Greek words, ' Homeo' meaning similar and 'Pathos' meaning suffering or treatment by the same. This system of healing was founded by a German doctor, Samuel Christian Hahnemann (1755) and is recognised as an effective means of treating diseases. Though this system was developed abroad, it has become an integral part of the Indian way of life. There are many institutes imparting Homeopathy courses in India.
Eligibility For bachelor course i.e. BHMS (Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine & Surgery) is 10+2 in physics, chemistry, Biology and English with minimum 45 % marks. The duration of the course is five and half years, including internship. There is also a Diploma course of four year duration. At post graduate level, there is MD in Homeopathy which is of three years duration.
Admission: BHMS is through the same All India Entrance Examination & state level entrance examination as for MBBS. . The qualification required for entrance is 10+2 or equivalent with Science subjects. In the case of private medical colleges entrance examinations are conducted by the institutes individually. They can find employment in Government and private hospitals or clinics, charitable institutions, research institutes as researchers, medical colleges and training institutes as teachers etc. Another option to do private practice.
Top 10 Medical Colleges In India of 2014 By India Today
1. All India Institute of Medical Sciences New Delhi
2. Christian Medical College Vellore
3. Maulana Azad Medical College New Delh
4. Armed Forces Medical College Pune
5. Kasturba Medical College Manipal
6. Lady Hardinge Medical College New Delhi
7. Grant Medical College Mumbai
8. University College of Medical Sciences & GTB HospitalNew Delhi
9. King George's Medical University Lucknow
10. Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute (SRMC) Chennai